Dishwasher won’t drain and are you wondering why your dishwasher won’t drain? If you are finding that your dishwasher will not fully drain when its cycle is complete and you are left with a pool of water in the bottom, we have some reasons and causes for why this may be happening. If you are unable to fix your appliance yourself, *call in one of our technicians* to ensure you get the job done right!
Here is a few different reasons to why your dishwasher is not draining properly:
1. Check the sink drain in the bottom – Check the drain in the bottom of your dishwasher and make sure it is cleared of food particles and debris. First, make sure you can run water down your sink drain to ensure that your main pipe is not clogged.
2. Ensure Drain, Drain Pump, and Sump are not Clogged – there are three areas that may get blocked by food particles or a buildup of grease and grim. This can cause your dishwasher to not drain properly and you can check all these areas and remove any areas that are being blocked. When this is complete, dump a cup of water in the bottom of your dishwasher and make sure the water drains to know that you got all the problem areas. If you find any areas that are broken along checking this areas, repair as you need.
3. Replacement of Drain Pump – Now that you checked to ensure your drain, drain hose, and sump are cleared from food particles and debris, it may be your drain pump that needs to be replaced. We recommend calling in a dishwasher repair technician to help replace this as it is not easy to diagnose with a naked eye.
4. Clear the Drain Line – The line that moves the water from your dishwasher to your drainage pipe is called your drain line. You must clear this line of any and all grim, grease, and food particles. If it is showing any signs of damage, the line should be repaired immediately.
5. Electronic Control Board is Broken – If your electronic control board is malfunctioning you may notice that the moving parts are not working properly, and the sump pump is not being allowed to properly work to drain your dishwasher. This repair can be tedious and if not replaced properly, you may void your manufacturer’s warranty. We recommend you call a professional when you need this repaired in your dishwasher.
6. Timer Malfunction - Your dishwasher timer is what tells each individual part when it is their time to move. If you timer is malfunctioning, it is possible that it is not telling your sump to function when it should be so your dishwasher is not draining when it should be. Repair the timer to allow your pump to begin being signalled again and your dishwasher will now drain again.
7. Check Value May Need to be Replaced – The check value ensures that your dishwasher can not backup with water after it has fully drained. If the dishwasher is filling up with water after it has completely drained, the check valve may need replacing.
8. Ensure the Upper Pump Assembly is not Wrecked - check your upper pump to ensure that it is free from food particles or grim. This can cause it to backfire and not function properly.
This is only a short list of reasons why your dishwasher is not draining properly. If you are not sure how to fix or repair this yourself, we recommend calling in one of our experienced technicians to ensure the proper repair.